Spurn Lightship moored in Hull Marina
Photographed on 28 September 2008.
In 1926, the Humber Conservancy Board (who had taken over the administration of the Humber from Trinity House in 1907) advertised for tenders to build a new lightship. 21 tenders were received with the cheapest being from 'The Goole Shipping and Repairing Company' and they built the vessel for a total cost of 16,550 pounds [this is the equivalent to 690,000 pounds at todays prices]. The vessel was finally launched on 19th July 1927 and served the Humber at her station for almost 50 years only leaving her station during the Second World War and for repairs.
In 1959 a new Spurn was built costing almost 100,000 pounds, upon which the old Spurn was painted red and transferred to the Bull station. After sterling service as the Bull Lightship she was decommissioned in 1975 and was laid up until 1983 when Hull City Council bought her for 4025 pounds and started the process of her renovation to get her back to her original state. She opened to the public at her present berth in the Marina in February 1987.
Picture added on 04 October 2008