Liberian passenger ship 'Oriental Esmeralda'
Monrovia-registered passenger/cargo ship "Oriental Esmeralda" (21,867 tons gross, built by John Brown & Co., Clydebank), owned by Oriental Latin America Lines Inc. (part of C.Y. Tung's Orient Overseas Line), at Keelung, Taiwan, in September 1975. She was delivered in December 1949 as "Rangitane" for the New Zealand Shipping Co., London, with a passenger capacity of 416 in one class. In 1968 she was sold to Astroguardia Cia. Nav. of Greece & renamed "Jan" for a delivery voyage to Kaohsiung for scrap but on arrival was resold to Orient Overseas & refitted at Hong Kong, reducing the passenger capacity to 350 in first class. She was finally scrapped at Kaoshsiung in 1976.
Picture added on 07 July 2013 at 08:55