Sedov approaching Torshamn, Gothenburg
School training ship photographed outside Gothenburg on 4 June 2010.
Formerly the Magdalene Vinnen II (1921–1936) and the Kommodore Johnsen (–1948), she is a 4-masted steel barque that for almost 80 years was the largest traditional sailing ship in operation. Originally built as a German cargo ship, the Sedov is today a sail training vessel, training cadets from the universities of Murmansk, Saint Petersburg and Arkhangelsk.
Launched in Kiel in 1921 as the Magdalene Vinnen II at the Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerft at Kiel, Germany, for the shipping company F. A. Vinnen & Co. of Bremen, one of the largest German shipping companies at the beginning of the 20th century.
She came under Russian state ownership after the surrender of Germany — on December 20, 1945, the British handed over the ship to the Soviet Union as war reparation. In the Soviet Union, she was converted into a sail training vessel of the Soviet Navy. Renamed the Sedov after the Arctic explorer Georgy Sedov who died during an investigation in the Arctic in 1914, she was used as a training ship of the Navy from 1952 to 1957.
Length overall: 385.5 ft, Draught: 21.9 ft, Breadth: 48.2 ft. Sail area: 4192 m².
Main engine: Wartsilä 3,000 hp.
Crew: 70, Cadets: 164.
Picture added on 08 June 2010 at 09:16